Tuesday, May 13, 2008

It's 2am, do you know where your children are?


I don't. But I assume they all got home safely.

I'm being a Gemini in that I like being alone AND I want to be with people.

Today, after leaving the lovely Clarence, I cabbed it over to the Abbott Lodge (with a taxi driver who totally thought Beckett DID NOT deserve the Nobel Prize), which is more of a budget arrangement, but a nice one. It's in an old Georgian building, which still has many original touches. It's kept up in a very cheery way, and the staff is friendly and outgoing. It's located on a street lined with low-cost B&Bs and backpackers; our author singled this one out in the Ireland book because of the attitude, which is very house-proud and a good value for the money. Having in stayed in plenty of similar accommodations over the years, I concur that attitude is everything, and enjoy the reproduction of what looks like a Victorian-era painting of girls in a library on my wall, some nice molding on the very high ceilings, and look forward to a cooked breakfast, including in the 65 euro pricetag. (On Priceline, no less!)

There was a semi-organized outing to Wicklow, which I didn't take part in. I saw lots of pictures AND lent Kaolin my USB cord to take back to the Travelodge, so everyone can UPLOAD THEIR FREAKIN PHOTOS AND BLOG ABOUT IT.

Aimee Howard (director of Tom Cruise, Get off the Couch) said that everyone was taking pictures and saying: "Oh! This one goes on the blog." From your lips to the series of tubes known as the internets, people!

After settling in at the Abbott, I went down to the corner internet cafe and saw how the rest of the world was doing, then went back and worked on my Joey Ramone play, then sent it to the director. Followed by a nap. Naps rule.

And wandered out to explore, took some pictures (but, you know, I lent the USB cable to someone...), ran into Brett on the street (I'd just bought him a present). And he took me up to their hotel and I chatted with Steven, who was also writing (a story for the Times), and made plans to meet him & Ron Bopst to see the short plays later.

And a little more wandering, which I like, and met up with the guys and saw the shorts...it was a very successful evening with a good range and style of work, and one play I must track down because I want to know the author (who was also in it).

I planned to catch up with our gang at the Dragon, but hadn't eaten, so I hung back with Aimee and Joe and we ate at a Chinese place and by the time I got to the Dragon...it was closed! (It was only just after midnight).

I realize that while it's enjoyable being on my own, I really have no way to contact anyone else in the company except email! Hey guys, how you doing?

I hate not knowing how the show went, but I had wanted to get to know the other people on the trip a bit, and it was nice having dinner with Aimee and Joe. Two down...10 or 12 to go or thereabouts. (I'm kidding...) It's funny being in a company with around 125 people. There are some I haven't met, or know only by sight or by their work.

It really is 2 in the morning, and I really have no new photos. So I am going to bed.

No comments: