Tuesday, May 20, 2008

May the road rise up to meet you...



...and may you make it back to work on time today.

Yesterday was a 3000-plus mile blur, and we thought for a moment about taking a group picture at the airport (because even though we meant to do it the whole time we were in Ireland, we never actually managed it). But everyone was so fried, and we all looked like we'd been partying the night before and then went on a 7-hour plane trip.

I'd meant to blog yesterday at the airport, but having to go through 3 layers of security changed that plan. When we checked in (after the first security check), we were shown a form that said if we hadn't cleared US Customs by 8:30am, our baggage would be removed from the plane. That put the fear of God; or the TSA into me, and I raced through the airport, bypassing duty free and hot coffee (I'll pick up a couple bags of Cadbury's on the way in as my offering to the office...it's traditional for us when we come back to bring a treat from where we've been.)

Then we cooled our heels in a rapidly-growing line at U.S. Customs, and the line grew and grew until around 7:45-ish, when they finally began to examine passports and ask questions. Then, five feet away from there, our boarding passes were examined by another security team and we were let into our boarding area. If we wanted to leave, we had to give them our boarding pass and they would hold it until we returned. Such is travel these days.

I spread out my coat & hat on the benches to save seats, and the rest of our party streamed in. We were all still kind of glowing and excited (if exhausted) from the party the night before, where we'd stayed til the last possible minute before we had to make reluctant goodbyes to the people we'd grown so fond of in just a week.

That's one of the reasons I like theatre so much; you tend to be thrown into intense situations with all kinds of people and are forced to work together for a positive outcome. And when it happens (which it does quite a lot, really), you either love 'em or hate 'em, and in a week, you've found a bunch more people you like and are sorry to leave.

I think we all enjoyed the last day (Sunday) so much because we knew it was just that, and our shows were over and we could just sit and be in a lovely city.

I moved hotel for the last time, traveling 3 or 4 blocks down Temple Bar to the Temple Bar Hotel. It's kind of a party hotel (you can tell by the groups of hen parties/bachelor parties checking out on Sunday morning, still wearing their pink-trimmed cowboy hats, D&G t-shirts, whistles round their necks, their eye makeup running a little, and trying to manage their wheelie luggage on the cobblestoned streets).

I blogged from the lobby of the hotel, watching the passing parade, then left my 'puter at the front desk (the Mac got many admiring glances; Apples are few & far between in Ireland), and went for brunch. We ate at the Mermaid Cafe, which Frommer's Ireland gives 2 stars to, and they are well-deserved. It's a beautiful sunny place with handmade wooden chairs and tables, art on the walls, and creative (but not in your face) cooking. If I lived in Dublin, it would be one of my favorite places. We also had a chance to talk about the shows we'd seen and talk like playwrights, actors and directors about their structure and what elements were added by each part of the whole. I'd missed doing that because the Dragon's a little LOUD for that kind of talk.

Before the gala, Steven & Brett came by to prepare Miss Fitt for her performance. Everyone dressed up for the occasion, and we all looked great. When Brett finished his transformation, we made the short walk from my hotel to the Button Factory (where the gala was being held) to the surprise of pretty much everyone on the Temple Bar. Brett chose the outfit with the hot-pink wig and black lace shortie, fishnets and high, high heels. I expect with heels on, he was about 6'8". I'm sure many a cellphone picture was taken and sent with the caption: you won't believe what I just saw!" We surrounded him all the way, just in case anyone took exception.


At the gala, we sat near the South Africans, who shared our space and our hearts. Some of the people from the short plays sat with the Irish ladies from their night.

The night consisted of performances from many of the pieces presented, and awards for some of the best work.

I got a chance to see a little bit of Jeff Key's "The Eyes of Babylon," about his tour of duty in Iraq. He talked about the children he saw, and about giving them candy, and doing what he could for them, and how he was "Americki" to them.

I wished I'd had a chance to see his piece, and the monologue from "Down Dangerous Passes Road," made me want to have seen that one as well.

Our own Miss Fitt sang "Cherry Dream" to great applause, and Joe, Kaolin and Kevin did a bit from "Tom Cruise, Get Off the Couch," that brought the house down. Kaolin was filming the ceremony, so if I can figure out how to post video, I certainly will.

I actually didn't bring along a notebook or camera (a sign to myself, perhaps, that I wasn't "working") Dumb move. I'm always working.

Anyway, I was quite surprised early on, when they announced the award for cultural exchange (or something...like I said, I didn't have a notebook!) and I heard my name called! I put down my bourbon and coke, and went to the stage, where I gratefully received it, gave Brian Merriman a big hug, and (I think) suprised John Pickering with another big hug. Professor Roy Sargeant, of Capetown, who is responsible for the great South African work coming to the festival, also got an ambassadorship!

It's a lovely certificate, framed, and says: "The International Dublin Gay Theatre Festival Gratefully acknowledges the outstanding contribution of Emerging Artists Theatre, New York (YAY!) . To the furtherance of the aims and objectives of the Festival, for their contribution to international gay theatre and the arts and is honoured to appoint Kathleen Warnock as an Official Ambassador of the International Dublin Gay Theatre Festival."

If that means being a nudge who loves to put people together to see what beautiful stuff they make, then I'll proudly accept.

The other awards (if I remember them correctly) were given out: Dalliances (our South African buddies) took home two: for direction and set. Best Man won best new writing. Gina Costigan (of the Countess and the Lesbians) won Best Actress, and Ricardo Melendez won Best Actor for Nijinsky's Last Dance. The nominees in every category got nice certificates and the winners got crystal trophies.

The Lord Mayor of Dublin, fabulous gold chain and all, stood up to give a speech, and it occurred to me that 10 years ago in Dublin that probably wouldn't have happened. There were more awards, one each for Brian and John (much deserved!) They closed with a rendition of "Seasons of Love" with all the volunteers on the stage and Brian leading it and pretty much everyone singing along.

We all proceded to the Front Lounge, for the after-party & sandwiches. I was sorry I hadn't been there til that night, because if I lived in Dublin, I suspect it would be my favorite bar.

I caught up with lots of people, and we exchanged cards and hugs. I want the Best Man guys to come to NYC, and hope the Corpus Christi company can come in the fall as they plan, and Jeff Key needs a New York run, and all kinds of things like that.

I reluctantly peeled myself away a bit after 1am, and went back to the hotel and packed every single thing except the next day's clothes. (I did a good job, except for socks).

And a rather fitful flight, and into my sweetie's arms and home for a good long nap. Last night, we went to dinner at our favorite small restaurant and saw Gerry, the waitress who's from Ireland and who wanted to know all about the trip. We chatted with her over our meals, and she talked about how much Ireland has changed since she was a girl. And how much her parents have; her father is a supporter of gay marriage now.

She said it's that everyone got a bit more money and got to travel and see the rest of the world, and bring new ideas back to Ireland. She was in the wave that left because there used to be no jobs. A lot of people went back when the economy got better. We asked her why she didn't.

"This is home now," she told us.

I understood.

No comments: