Thursday, May 8, 2008

Too much to do!


Being a travel editor and actually traveling are two different things. My job is actually to edit manuscripts that are designed to help people have fun on their travels: the minutiae of choosing a hotel, changing money, using a cellphone, getting through the airport. And as a company member working to get the project off the ground and to Ireland, I cross back and forth between editor and point person on EatinIreland so often that the boundaries become sort of meaningless.

Then I spend 20 minutes in midtown (this afternoon) looking for a place to get a handful of euros, because my own advice to others is to have a little walking around money in the local currency when you get off the plane, rather than hope the ATM will work, or pay the very high rate for currency exchange at an airport. I still don't have any euros.

One time, when I went to Australia, I knew I had no money in the bank, but that my direct deposit (of my paycheck at my dayjob at the time) was going to hit sometime while I was headed across the Pacific. So I landed, went to an ATM and voila, Australian dollars came out. Because, travel editor or not, I've been on enough roadtrips to know that no matter how stuck you are, short of serious injury, arrest, or death, you're probably going to be able to figure a way out of it if you just stay calm.

(Ask me about the time I nearly got arrested by a German policeman who thought I was a shoplifter).

I'm not really packed yet, and there's a lot to do between now and Saturday night, both in the office and to arrange the trip, but I'm ready to go. The waiting really is the hardest part.

Oh, and Happy Birthday (May 9) Karen Stanion (Lydia in "Some Are People.") She's the blonde on the LEFT in the photo above.

No comments: